Friday, June 27, 2014

Tarsals, Travels, and Tapas

So I am sure everyone is dying to know about my foot. I had to wake up earlier this morning and head the the clinic where they did x-rays of my toe. Going by how the fingers are named it would be my pointer toe? On my right foot, but anyway I couldn't take the pain anymore of walking on it and it was weirdly veering in the wrong direction. Turns out it is not broken, so I have still never broken a bone ever (fun fact). But I did a good job in jamming/spraining it. So another week of walking could of broken it. It's easier to tell people I just broke it then explain. It gets taped to my middle toe and now they are best friends basically and I have 4 toes this way.

Apart from the toe fiasco, we arrived in Bilbao Spain (part of Basque Country) at 8am this morning. I had a field lab for Anthropology of Food. I was so excited for this lab and was really disappointed. We took a tour of the old city, talked to a chef, and visited a market. The market included smelly fish and lots of pig. As most know I love pigs and I saw a straight up pig head just sitting on the counter! I could have cried, but yes I took a picture to show. After the market we had a tapas tasting and although I tried them I can't say I liked them. Tapas which they also called Pintxos (in Basque) where pieces of meat, cheese, and fruit on pieces of bread. Kind of like appetizers but served usually between 9-11pm with drinks. 3 out of the 5 we were given had mayo on them which I do not like at all. One had seafood , which I still did not like. One of the tapas had fruit on it and what everyone assumed was cheese. I was convinced this grey "cheese" that I just tried was liver or some other organ. I was right. So I tried lots of mayo and liver. I began taking everything off so I basically had a bread tasting. I tried though. After we toured restaurants but not really. It was like just looking at different dining rooms and we were all bored to death. We were also hungry after the tapas and stopped in a bakery. It was not as good as the croissants we had in Lisbon.

Once we came back we ate dinner and got ready to go back out around 8. We went back to the old town and met up with some friends on the shuttle. We jumped from bar to bar, which are actually sort of restaurants for them because they eat dinner at 9-11pm. I tried some white wine and loved it and at the next place I had amazing sangria. The other 2 girls that JoEllen and I were with wanted to go back sort of earlier because of excursions tomorrow. We all had a really good time, got a little tipsy, made more friends, and got ice cream! Tomorrow we are off to a field program to the South - Western part of France. That makes 11 countries and 12 cities! Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment