Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I'm So Fancy, you Already Know...

Yesterday we went through the Kiel Canal in Germany. It took us about 8
hours and I was expecting it to be like the Panama Canal. It wasn't at
all. We only went through 2 locks, one at the beginning and one at the
end. The rest of the time we moved at a pretty good speed and it just
looked like we were going through a wide river through the countryside.
We went through to save some time and to avoid the rougher seas. Once we
got out of the canal around 3 or 4, we started to hit really rough seas.

Last night was the Alumni Ball and we all got to dress up fancy. Our one
dean said it was really nice to see everyone all dressed up because
every other time she sees us we are going to class in sweatpants and
flip flops. JoEllen, Becca, and I got ready in our room and of course
there was a dress fiasco. It all got taken care of though. Our on ship
photographer took pictures in the Union and then they had mustaches and
glasses and things for us to take pictures with on the other deck.

We had dinner at 8:30 and it was really good. Everyone got a glass of
champagne as we walked in. We were supposed to sit at Becca's table, but
when we signed up they told us it was full. So we were at a different
table with our friend from food class, Dana.

First we had a choice of an appetizer and I had the spring roll. Then we
all had cream of broccoli soup and salad. Then we had a main course and
I got the beef. And then we got ice cream. It was all so good and I was
so full.

During dinner is when we started to feel the rocking a lot. Once we left
dinner and started walking it was horrible. We were basically being
thrown from one side of the hall to the other. JoEllen and I tried to
use the handrails, but we still ended up on the other side of the wall.
After dinner we saw an end of voyage video that our videographer had
done. They had a dance after, but mostly everyone cleared out, including
me. I was not feeling well. JoEllen and I took some Dramamine and could
not sleep. I had such a horrible sleep. We were moving so much in our
beds and it was really uncomfortable. It wasn't the normal rocking, it
was you look at the other side of the room and it is higher than the
side you are on rocking.

Our luggage is all gone to be loaded off tomorrow. Today we have some
end of the trip activities and it feels like the sea has calmed down.
Today is my last day on-board and I don't know how I feel about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment