Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Moment of Silence for the Fallen

So our study abroad program is dwindling. Today we ripped off another
full sheet of our Google Docs itinerary. We have finished 2 sheets and
now there is only one left and about a third on another with our going
home information. After we rip each sheet off, I do my best bagpipe
impression as we say a few words and have a funeral procession to the
trashcan.

Today was out first day in St. Petersburg, Russia! At pre-port they
warned us about everything and there was a bunch of students that were
kind of scared of Russia. Not going to lie it is pretty intimidating
going through immigration, but Russia is not scary at all like everyone
was freaking about. It was not what I expected, but then again I don't
really know what I expected. I did expect colder weather and well it is
warmer here than it was in Spain. It was in the 80s and I was hot
walking around in shorts and a tee. We had a walking tour today for 7
hours and I am pooped. First our bus broke down, so we walked the half
hour to the Hermitage museum. The museum was in the Winter Palace and
other buildings in the main square. There were 5 buildings all together
and it took us about 3 hours to get through it all. I had seen pictures
of the square, but actually being there was like I can't even describe
it. In the museum I am pretty sure my mouth was hung open the entire
time. The ceilings of this place were insane. After the museum it was
linner time. It was like 4 so a lunch/dinner. JoEllen and I each got
something different and split the dishes. I had a blini which is like
the Russian version of a crepe. I got chicken inside and it was so good.
The other dish we split were perogies. My first time having them, I hate
to admit it, but the Italian in me likes gnocchi better. After we walked
along one of the rivers and then saw our first Orthodox church. I could
not get over it. On Saturday or Sunday, we have a tour that will take us
to the same church, but this time inside too. It was such a long day and
now it is almost 9. Tomorrow we have nothing planned but shopping and
getting some WiFi in the terminal. I'm hoping I can get some pictures
uploaded online for everyone to see. I have taken so many pictures so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment