Monday, July 14, 2014

Would You Like Fries with That, Ireland?

Here is day 3 and 4! I love you Ireland and your insane amounts of cows!

Day Three:
The next day we woke up and got on the bus again at 9am. We headed a few
minutes to the cliffs for the ultimate disappointment. It was raining,
Ireland weather was doing its thing and there was zero visibility. We
walked up to the cliffs and could hear the birds and water, but we saw
nothing but fog and more fog. You could barely see maybe a car length in
front of you. So although I did actually make it to the Cliffs of Moher,
I did not see anything. I don't know if that counts. But don't worry I
took pictures of me and the fog. After our tour guide turned to plan B,
which involved more driving and stopping in hour intervals. We stopped
at some weird limestone thing and the whole ground was covered in
boulders. It was pretty cool, but still hard to see far away. This trip
kind of was a let down. I was most excited about the cliffs and
basically saw nothing. The few hundred dollar trip consisted of sleeping
on the bus and wondering when our next meal was. Kind of a bummer, but
at least I got my napping in. Not much you can do with this weather.
After we got back we decided to go out into Dublin around 8. We did some
damage at the first bar. Like over 20 euro for two drinks. But, my
parents did say "don't be cheap, if you see something you really like
buy it" so I did. I made my own blackcurrant juice concoction, so good.
We headed around to Temple Bar, which is always packed and a lot of fun.
Then I found another store where I was able to replace the broken
Guinness mug from day one. It took a few drinks to get me to suggest
going to Burger King. We were starving and bars stop serving food at
like 8 or 9. That would never work in the U.S. Anyway I had my first and
last Whopper in 21 years and the night just got funnier and funnier. We
were so tired and probably should not have had that last drink. At one
point I kept saying that I could no longer feed myself. It's tiring work
lifting your arm. Good thing we have it on video. On the shuttle ride,
JoEllen kept calling the foot rest a foot schoochie and we started
discussing the show Extreme Cheapskates. Within 5 minutes she managed to
rename it to Extreme Sheepscapes and Extreme Cheesesteaks. I'm pretty
sure everyone on the bus hated us because we could not stop obnoxiously
laughing.

Day Four :( :
Last day in Ireland! Why is this happening? This whole leaving the
countries is not cool Semester at Sea, not cool. Today was Newgrange! We
got up for our 7:30am trip and boarded the struggle bus, we were
driving. Newgrange was amazing. It is a 5,000 year old tomb and it was
so insane. We could not take pictures inside so I got a post card with
an inside picture of it on it. I still can't get over it. Newgrange is
set up so that on the Winter solstice the sun shines through the opening
and into the back chamber. It is so ridiculous to me that they charted
the sun and built the tomb perfectly. The inside was crazy. I don't know
a word to describe it. It is so old and the amount of work and
engineering that went into it is amazing. In 5,000 years it has never
had any rain come in or had any part of it collapse. I loved it. After
we went to a hill called Tara. It was really pretty and had gorgeous
views of the country. Just green and more green everywhere. It was a
really cool day. I really don't like history, but I love it when it
involves ruins and old structures that can barely be explained. After
the tour we went into Dublin and of course got some ice cream before
boarding the shuttle to the ship. When we got back we saw that a cruise
ship had joined us in the port. It is the Ruby Princess and literally
makes our boat look like a canoe next to it. It is now 9pm and we left
Ireland an hour ago. So sad. Now we are on our way to Norway and my
email is still not working, so hopefully I can get this up soon. 3 days
at sea and then we lose an hour and become 6 hours ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment